[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Thai Kitchari – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]
- 1 cup split yellow mung dahl or whole green mung beans
- 1 cup quinoa or basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 leek, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 handful of shitaki mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dried coconut
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger root
- 1 handful of cilantro or Thai basil
- 1 lime, juiced
- pinch cayenne pepper
- optional vegetables (green beans, cabbage, bok choy, broccoli, asparagus)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Soak grains and beans for 3-8 hours. In a large saucepan on medium heat, cook onion, celery and carrots in water, stirring frequently. Add water as needed so veggies don't stick to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. In a blender combine ginger, coconut, cilantro or Thai basil, lime juice and 1/2 cup of water. Blend until liquified.
- Next add grains, beans, blended items and water or veggie stock. This is a good time to add your optional veggies as well. Bring to a boil and then let simmer, slightly covered, until grains and beans are cooked (about 20 minutes). Add sesame oil and salt to taste.