[wpurp-searchable-recipe]20 Minute Kitchari Recipe – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]
- Total Time: 20m
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/3 cup whole mung beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida or hing
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated or diced
- 1 cup carrots (or squash, pumpkin, beet, etc.)
- 1 cup greens (or cauliflower, celery, green beans, etc.)
- cilantro leaves (optional topping)
- flax seed meal (optional topping)
- Wash beans and rice thoroughly. Combine rice, beans and water in a pressure cooker. Bring to pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
- Grind spices in a spice grinder or coffee grinder. In a small pot, combine ghee and spices. Warm on medium low until spices are fragrant. Add the carrots and salt and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, then turn to low.
- Once the rice and beans have finished cooking, strain them and save the cooking water. Add the rice and beans to the spices and carrots. Slowly stir in the reserved water until reaching the consistency of a stew. If desired, add more water to make it soupier. Finally, stir in the greens, top with cilantro or flax seed meal and serve.