Imagine the aroma and sweet taste of the oasis that is Hot Cocoa! I personally like to use organic, healthy ingredients and a bit of spice. But there are so many ways to make this yummy treat.
Here’s a basic recipe with a choice of milks so you can make your Hot Cocoa dairy free or soy free if you choose. Additionally try one of the variations below to adjust the recipe to your dosha and your taste.
Hot Cocoa Recipe Variations For Vata Dosha
If you’re a Vata individual you can add some heat to your diet with a little spice. You may also add some ghee to this recipe to counteract dryness. As caffeine can interrupt sleep and nerves you may substitute carob powder for cocoa powder. Dairy and almond milk are excellent choices. Soy may be difficult to digest (so add some spice if you use soy).
Try one of these variations for Vata Dosha:
- Add 1/2 tsp ghee for vata type digestion, dry skin, and insomnia.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on top before bed, to help with sleep.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top to warm cold, vata bodies.
- Add a little cardamom powder to help with digestion.
- Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream to calm and soothe.
Hot Cocoa Recipe Variations For Pitta Dosha
Pitta individuals should avoid too much heat in their system so Pittas can omit heating spices like cinnamon. Pittas may also be aggravated by caffeine so they may like carob powder instead of cocoa powder.
Pittas can favor cooling additions to their diet and might like these twists to their Hot Cocoa:
- For a refreshing Mint Hot Cocoa add 1/2 tsp dried mint leaves to the boiling water in the recipe below. Strain and proceed with the recipe.
- Add a dollop of fresh whipped cream to calm and cool.
Hot Cocoa Recipe Variations For Kapha Dosha
Kapha types will benefit from warm beverages and are most likely to handle the stimulation of caffeine with no negative affects. They should avoid dairy since it is congesting. Kaphas can add warming spices to this recipe but omit the vanilla. Use honey instead of organic cane sugar.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder to ease congestion.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon to warm and melt accumulated kapha.
Warm wishes for a cozy winter night or a blissful afternoon! Snuggle up on the couch with your favorite book and some yummy, soul warming, dosha-soothing Hot Cocoa!