Before we dive into 2 life changing questions, I want you to imagine a little child. Imagine that this sweet young baby is hungry. Once in need to eat, the kid will ask for food and will eat very quickly once the meal is available.
Listening to our needs is in fact an innate ability, we all naturally have it. Yet somehow as we grow, we lose this connection and give ourselves reasons and excuses for not listening to our needs.
For a life of good health, it is essential to live in alignment with nature and its seasons.
So find the ability to connect with your inner self, listen to the voice of your body and ask yourself openly these two questions. Then incorporate the actions from the list below into your daily life, one at a time.
How am I doing right now?
While this may seem easy and obvious, we are often too busy and have too hectic lifestyles to truly listen to our bodies.
Let’s imagine a situation when you are in the middle of some important activity or are enjoying yourself while your body is communicating its needs to you. You understand its signals, you know what your body is asking you for, however you delay or ignore the request.
For example, when it is really late at night, you are reading a very enjoyable book or watching a show. You notice your eyes are closing and you are yawning loudly, but you still stay up reading more because you are curious what the next page will bring. According to Ayurveda, in such scenario, two things happen. First we suppress our urges, which brings us away from the balance and second, we commit pragya paradh or so called mistake of intellect. And you guess well, it is not supporting our well being in any way.
After understanding the voice of your body, take the next step. Connect with your emotions.
How am I feeling right now?
Sometimes we may feel lost, disconnected, lonely or frustrated and yet, all we need is to get some extra rest, talk to a friend, smile, receive a hug from a loved one, walk silently in nature or play with a pet. Give yourself that gift of time to stop all activities and ask what would support you at the moment. What do I need right now to feel better? You already know the answers…
Your True Nature
Ayurveda brings us back to our true nature. It literally connects us with our inner being.
No matter what your age is there are simple, yet juicy steps you can integrate into your daily routines to look younger and feel more balanced and healthier.
These are simple intuitive daily actions that promote longevity and good health. These are general steps that can help for all of us regardless of our individual dosha or body constitution.
13 ways to stay connected and balanced
- take regular breaks away from work and errands to have fun and relax
- stretch your body often
- breathe!! sometimes we work so hard we forget to breathe, take a deep breath now
- make sure you get enough rest
- move your body every day; find time for 30 minutes to walk, practice yoga, run, swim, etc.
- do what you love; enjoy time doing your hobbies
- spend as much time as possible with positive, inspiring people in person or virtually
- notice how certain foods and drinks make you feel and how they affect your well being
- meditate before breakfast to set the calm tone to your entire day and whenever needed during the day to reduce stress and feel less overwhelmed
- watch your inner thoughts, these create your reality
- keep asking yourself “how do I feel” and “what do I need” to see what serves you best
- keep a daily journal every morning and/or evening
- laugh often, life is serious enough anyway so have fun!!